[Seaside] download content & encoding

Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Fri Nov 25 12:47:33 UTC 2011

Hi Sven,

> Just out of curiosity: why did you chose to encode using UTF-16 instead of the much more common, quasi standard UTF-8 ?

It's an Excel thing.

UTF16 is required for a csv file to be opened correctly by excel on both windows and mac platforms
The csv file also needs to use tabs as separators to make it work correctly.

UTF8 does not work for Excel in that case.

I cannot remember where I puzzled that information together, but I do remember it's one of those things that took a long time to find out…

Johan