[Seaside] Seaside on EC2 Amazon Service

Lawrence Kellogg mac.hive at me.com
Wed Oct 12 18:25:16 UTC 2011

Hello Nick,
  I'm working my way through your instructions again. I switched to my
desktop machine and when I went to login to the instance, I got a popup
menu that asked me for the password for the RSA key and it logged me in.
I never got this popup on my laptop, not sure why. I thought I performed the
same steps.

On Oct 12, 2011, at 10:33 AM, Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
>> Make sure you include the " - " before your key and lines "#cloud-config" & "ssh_authorized_keys:"
>> I find it helpful to form the syntax in a text editor prior to posting into the web-form.
>>

>   So, is there a space between the '-' and the 'ssh-rsa'? Does it matter?
>
> I haven't tried it without the spaces, but it works for me with the spaces.
>
> I saw another parameter that said something about disabling metadata. I guess that parameter is not needed.
>
> Yes that is optional.
>

>   By the way, your instructions say open SSH on Port 22 but the screen shot shows port 25, or
> vice versa. I assume that I only need to open up port 22 for SSH.
>
> Correct port 22 is SSH. I've corrected the spurious reference to port 25 in the blog post - thanks. On the latest EC2 interface you can just pick SSH and HTTP from the drop-down menu.

   Thanks fo making this change.

>   It seems like the Security Group stuff has changed. I wasn't able to get the All Internet
> specification that you show. The entries I created all wanted a source, 0,0,0,0 or 1234567890/default.
> What do I do with that?
>
> Just pick SSH and HTTP from the drop-down, but I don't think this is your problem.

  Great, I'll do that.

>   I wonder if it matters that I was trying this from my laptop over Wifi.
>
> I doubt that's an issue.

I found a few small issues:

This
chmod 600 ~/.shh/authorized_keys

should be ssh, not shh

AND
sudo /sudo /etc/init.d/sshd restart
should be

sudo /etc/init.d/sshd restart

I think.

I'll let you know if I make it all the way through the GemStone install.

Thanks a lot for the help.

  Larry