[Seaside] Re: Q on "html select" and how to get selected item in an Ajax callback

squeakman squeakman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 15:44:39 UTC 2011

Thanks Bob and John,

I have done as you suggested and it does work.

Here is what the my code now looks like:

(html select)
   id: 'stocksList';
   list: self listOfStocks;

   " Ajax Callback 1 "
   onChange: (html scriptaculous request
      triggerForm: (html scriptaculous element up: 'form'));

   "Ajax Callback 2"
   onChange: (html scriptaculous evaluator callback: [:s | s refresh]);

   "non Ajax Callback "
   callback: [:selStock | self selectedStock: selStock]

If I understand things correctly, on change causes "Ajax Callback 1" to
be called which causes "non Ajax Callback" to be called where the
selected stock is updated.

This works but I also want to re-render the page without having to use a
Submit button. I thought that the "non Ajax Callback" would have caused
the entire page to be re-rendered but that does not happen.

The "Ajax Callback 2" forces the re-rendering of the page.

One last question to wrap this up: "Is this the prescribed way to do
this task?".

Thank you very much,
Frank