[Seaside] generating callback from ajax

Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Sun Sep 18 14:04:26 UTC 2011

Milan,

I think there are more convenient ways to achieve this, but it indeed seems to be difficult to add a callback in a text/json callback. I have to withdraw my statement:
> In all kinds of callbacks, you can therefore access the callbacks dictionary without needing to 'reuse' an old canvas / rendercontext.
It seems that a text/json callback does not give you a render context. Either there is another way to get to the callbacks (I would have to look), or it seems there is a shortcoming here because you might want to register new callbacks (or generate action urls) inside text/json callbacks as well.

So I understand why you are reusing the canvas.

In any case, I think registering a callback when you have the renderContext available is more convenient when you use the jQuery wrappers.
For example, the following expression registers a callback and returns the url so you can pass it on to JQGrid.

dataUrl := (html jQuery ajax callback:[self ajaxCallback]) fullUrl

However, when you want to return json, the following is probably more appropriate:

dataUrl := (html jQuery getJson text:[:stream | ... ]) fullUrl

And, the real problem, as opposed to the #html: , #script:, and #load: callbacks, the #text: callback does not provide a renderContext.

imho, it might be easier to use a single callback and a different request parameter for each row. In that case, you even do not need to register callbacks.
Another option is to create a #text: callback that passes the rendercontext (similar to how #script: & #html: are implemented).

Let me think about this a bit more… it's an interesting problem.

Johan