[Seaside] state in request handler

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Tue Apr 17 13:48:23 UTC 2012

Am 17.04.2012 um 15:34 schrieb Julian Fitzell:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 13 April 2012 10:26, Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name> wrote:

>>> You could make it thread-local. Look at how WACurrentRequestContext is
>>> implemented.
>>>
>>> I see. Although I think thread-locality here is a coincidence. And
>>> WARequestContext is adaptive so I could hook my stuff onto it. I need to
>>> make my component aware of the request context. I'm not convinced this is
>>> the best way to go but it would work I think.
>>> Probably that solves my other problem, too. With having a state within the
>>> request handler there needs to be a location where this state is to be
>>> resetted. I thought handleFiltered: would be called only once. But this is
>>> not true at least not when running it inside a test case. Or I need to try
>>> to investigate further.
>>
>> I would just create a new object for each incoming request in the
>> Seaside request handler. Like this you can safely keep your state
>> separate from all other incoming requests and it gets garbage
>> collected as soon as the request completes.
>>
>> SeasideRequestHandler>>#handleRequest: aRequestContext
>>     ^ MyRequestHandler new handle: aRequestContext
>>

> Or, you could store your data in the request context (it has a
> property dictionary). However, I think I prefer Lukas' suggestion if
> it makes sense for your case.

That is what I meant with request context being adaptive ;) I think hooking onto request context is good if you don't care to have WACurrentRequestContext calls in your code. In my case I liked to make it request independent and the suggestion of Lukas is the perfect match. The request context hook-on could be in favour if thread-safety has hard requirements. But that is just an assumption because I do not know the constraints when a context is allowed to be suspended.

Norbert