[Seaside] How to convert a 1.4 Pharo Seaside image so that it will work with seasidehosting.st

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Wed Aug 1 13:48:28 UTC 2012

Torsten,

I would think that Heroku buildpacks[1] would be a good (modern) direction to go....there's a buildpack for Dart.

Heroku uses git to deploy code to the buildpack, but since we can use git with Smalltalk[2], now, that shouldn't be a barrier.

Presumably one could set up a buildpack for Pharo or Squeak and/or Seaside ... if I weren't so busy with git/Metacello (the enabling technologies) I'd jump on the buildpacks right now ...

For awhile there it looked like CloudFoundry might be a good solution from VMware, but VMware isn't going to go into the hosting business itself ... which puts us back to searching for a hosting service ....

buildpack for Seaside might be a cool project for the camp smalltalk/seaside sprint at ESUG...

I've already adapted Lukas' builder for running squeak/pharo in travis ci[3] using git-based repos and Metacello so I can't imagine that buildpacks would involve much more than that, although I haven't looked into the details Heroku buildpacks yet ...

Dale

[1] http://blog.heroku.com/archives/2012/7/17/buildpacks/
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree
[3] https://github.com/dalehenrich/builderCI