[Seaside] How to convert a 1.4 Pharo Seaside image so that it will work with seasidehosting.st

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 07:01:31 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de> wrote:
> Mark Andrew wrote:
>>[snip a lot of things he tried to build an image for Seasidehosting]
>
> The reason is simple:
>  - Seasidehosting has a custom made VM that only allows you
>    to play in a sandbox
>    Looks like it is too hard for the seasidehosting crew to
>    run it on a new one/or customize a more recent VM
>
>  - Pharo image is now much newer and saved by CogVM - so it can
>    not be used and one has to look for Squeak
>
>  - meanhwile Seaside switched to Zinc (since Pharo did it)
>    and nobody really cares on "Seaside for Squeak"
>    that makes it hard to run a recent Seaside on Squeak
>    (Zinc loading problems ...)

There is a server adapter for WebClient [1]. We actually do fix Squeak
issues where reported and possible [2]. However as Pharo and Squeak
diverge more it becomes harder to support both with the same code
base. We're already running into troubles supporting multiple Pharo
versions. In the long run Squeak versions for the corresponding Pharo
implementations will probably have to be created.

 [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/WebClient.html
 [2] http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=650

Cheers
Philippe