[Seaside] Re: [Metacello] What is the plan with Pharo changes?

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Sat Aug 4 05:31:49 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

The bigger problem is that I have to have a code base that runs on multiple platforms while being maintainable, so a "port" to Pharo-2.0 is only a starting point. In the case of FileTree, which is the real bottleneck there's a lot code that is written against the FileDirectory API, so there will need to be significant work to find a way to keep a common code base .... a much tougher problem, than "just getting it working", it can be solved with time, but I didn't budget time for an emergency rewrite of FileTree ... today.

| > It is likely that I will have to redo whatever hacks that are done
| > to get it running on Pharo-2.0 to be compatible with the rest of
| > platforms that I am supporting and doing it right takes a little
| > more effort ...
| >
| yes.. it is hard to keep up with moving target.. But i hope this is
| for good of us all (FileSystem ,as to me, is no doubt much better
| comparing to what we had before).

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with the overall goals ... I actually think that renaming FileDirectory to ObsoleteFileDirectory (and keeping the implementation) would be a good compromise ... I can easily switch class names for the short term which then buys me time for doing a proper rewrite ...