[Pharo-project] [Seaside] Re: [Metacello] What is the plan with Pharo changes?

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 17:27:42 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck
<marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all. I am answering to all together:
> Stef: Yes, I imported and loaded the Pier of DBX website in Pharo 2.0 with
> seaside and magritte. With 5 minutes of opening debuggers and change things
> I was able to correctly make it work (at least, my app, I didn't run all
> tests to see).
> Dale: We don't want to just help you with "hacks", that why I send this
> email and several others, to see what others think so that can find better
> and non-hacky solutions. So, let's try to find good solutions:
> 1) does it help if we put back FildeDirectory and we remove it later ? so
> that you have time to update Metacello and that we can still use Metacello
> :)
> 2) for the SystemChangeNotifier does it make sense to delegate to the
> closures?  [ xx ] valueWithoutSystemNotifications.  Or we add a #doSilently:
> and we add  a MetacelloPharo20Platform that overrides the behavior.
> 3) as Janko said, what about improving/using Grease/Sport for this purpose?
> do they provide something for this? could this be added?
> 4) Should we integrate Metacello in the image with our changes until you
> have time and find a good solution that works everywhere? Maybe if we do 1)
> it is not very necessary.
> Thanks for considering this a friendly and positive thread.

So instead of lamenting the state of the world I went ahead and wrote
some code. To find out what breaks in Seaside I created new packages
for every Pharo package that didn't work. So I ended up with:

 - Grease-Pharo20-Core
 - Grease-Tests-Pharo20-Core
 - Seaside-Pharo20-Core
 - Seaside-Tests-Pharo20-Core
 - Javascript-Pharo20-Core

You can find them in the Seaside 3.1 repository [1]. I'm not really
sure this was a clever idea but it sounded better than writing a long

Things I ran into:
 - file system (obviously)
 - SystemAnnouncer
 - BlockContext is gone
 - extension methods are now present on String
 - different Float number printing

File system and SystemAnnouncer are only used by file library.

Right now two tests fail because the GRPackage dependencies are
inconsistent due to a mix of Pharo and Pharo20 packages. The rest
seems to work, also functionally.

Things I didn't test or even load:
 - OB tooling
 - Slime/SLint tooling

 [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside31


More information about the seaside mailing list