[Pharo-project] [Seaside] Re: [Metacello] What is the plan with Pharo changes?

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 12:16:46 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 11:56 PM, stephane ducasse
<stephane.ducasse at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi Philippe
>
> sounds quite good to me
>
>>> Thanks for considering this a friendly and positive thread.
>>
>> So instead of lamenting the state of the world I went ahead and wrote
>> some code. To find out what breaks in Seaside I created new packages
>> for every Pharo package that didn't work. So I ended up with:
>>
>> - Grease-Pharo20-Core
>> - Grease-Tests-Pharo20-Core
>> - Seaside-Pharo20-Core
>> - Seaside-Tests-Pharo20-Core
>> - Javascript-Pharo20-Core
>>
>> You can find them in the Seaside 3.1 repository [1]. I'm not really
>> sure this was a clever idea but it sounded better than writing a long
>> mail.
>>
>> Things I ran into:
>> - file system (obviously)
>> - SystemAnnouncer
>> - BlockContext is gone
>         BlockContext has been abandoned some earth cycles ago already :)

We still had class extensions there.

>> - extension methods are now present on String
>> - different Float number printing
> this is strange

NaN used to print as 'NaN' now prints as 'Float nan', similar for
infinity. We test for this because JavaScript has them and JSON
doesn't.

>> File system and SystemAnnouncer are only used by file library.
>>
>> Right now two tests fail because the GRPackage dependencies are
>> inconsistent due to a mix of Pharo and Pharo20 packages. The rest
>> seems to work, also functionally.
>
> So this is a good news.

We still need to find a good way to maintain the 1.x and 2.x branches.
Maybe git branches and file tree, let's see.

Cheers
Philippe