[Seaside] Pharo/Seaside as a back-end for a social media app

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 09:52:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:15 AM, Oscar E A Callaú
<oalvarez at dcc.uchile.cl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I plan to build a social media app, initially targeted to iOS clients. I was wondering if pharo 1.4 and seaside 3.07/3.1 are enough for a back-end where at least these requirements are expected:
>
> + Rest communication (I can use Seaside-REST)

Yes

> + Media transmission, ie sending/retrieving Photos and Videos (What Seaside modules I can use for this?)

You usually want to avoid passing files through the image. A
combination of mod_fileupload [1] and mod_xsendfile [2] or something
similar may work.

> + Database communication (I can use GlorpDBX)

There are drivers available for various RDBMS. You'll have to check
for the specific one you want to use. If you want to use an ORM on top
of OpenDBX then you can use GlorpDBX. Depending on the concurrency
level and query latencies you expect OpenDBX may not be ideal. However
there are "native" (socket based) drivers for PostgreS and MySQL that
don't have these issues.

> + Ouath2 authentification (??, I understand that CouldforkSSO is a client not a server)
> + Scalability, where I can easily grow from hundreds to thousands of clients.

I would say this mostly depends on your architecture. You should
certainly test first.

> Do you think Pharo could meet that requirements or I must use something less cool :-(, such as ruby on rails.
>
> Thanks in advance. I'll really appreciate your comments.

 [1] http://apache.webthing.com/mod_upload/
 [2] https://tn123.org/mod_xsendfile/

Cheers
Philippe