[Seaside] Re: Configuration of IIS in Amazon EC2 (Windows AMI)

Sabine Knöfel sabine.knoefel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 10:05:27 UTC 2012

I was asked about configuration for EC2, Windows, Apache, Seaside and Pharo

1.) Install apache in your ec2 instance
2.) Add port (e.g. 80) to the security group you used for your instance in
aws
3.) stop IIS
4.) In "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security", add an "inbound Rule"
which allows the connection to port 80
5.) edit httpd.conf:
a) enter port e.g.
"Listen 80"
b) enable those modules:
"LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so"
c) enable  Virtual hosts
"Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf"
d) edit httpd-vhosts.conf:
 "NameVirtualHost *:80
 <VirtualHost *:80>
   # set server name
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    ServerName www.yourURL.de <http://www.rka24.de>

    DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files (x86)/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache2.2/www/NAMEOFYOURAPPLICATION"
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

<Directory "C:/Program Files (x86)/Apache Software
Foundation/Apache2.2/www/NAMEOFYOURAPPLICATION">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

    # rewrite incoming requests
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^/(.*)$
http://localhost:8080/NAMEOFYOURAPPLICATION/$1<http://localhost:8080/RKA/$1>[proxy,last]
</VirtualHost>"

e) restart apache

this is how it works for me now for development and testing purposes

QUESTIONS
A) I had to replicate my FileLibrary on hard-disk of Server.
Anyone knowing how I could avoid this (and serve css from pharo)?
I would like to make a part of my css editable by browser, so I want to
configure Apache allowing this.

B) comments welcome especially for security issues