[Seaside] multiple components

Milan Mimica milan.mimica at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 17:12:34 UTC 2012

Hello!

   Some of my more complex views contain a hierarchy of components, each
component taking care of some small part of UI logic. This view is
implemented as a container component which delegates rendering to
several sub-components. From outside, this view looks like an ordinary
WAComponent. Everything goo so far. A small problem arises when such
component tries to #call: another component. Since technically it is
usually the inner component sending #call: to self, the new view doesn't
replace the whole hierarchy, but only the inner component that actually
sent #call:, which is not fine in this case.
What am I doing now, is sending each inner component a reference to its
container component and then the inner object sends #call: to its container
instead of self. I find it ugly, need to elaborate why? Is there a better
solution?

A similar problem arises with #answer -- you cannot #answer from an inner
component because it wasn't the one which wall #call-ed in the first place.
Again I need a reference to a container component to #answer from there.

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net