[Seaside] Test stack

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Tue Jan 10 16:49:14 UTC 2012

On Jan 8, 2012, at 4:09 PM, Francois Stephany wrote:

> I'm currently testing with vanilla SUnit and want to improve this a bit.
> Do many of you test component with SeasideTesting (http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside/TestingComponents/TestingComponents.html)?
> How do you test when Javascript is involved? For some of my Ruby projects, I currently use Capybara-Webkit (which simulates a browser with QT webkit). Is there something similar in Smalltalk that I'm not aware of?

As previously mentioned, the VisualWorks version of SeasideTesting supports testing applications "in browser" but currently under Firefox only.  I use this extensively but I must admit that it is a bit temperamental and performance is mediocre.  With those caveats I highly recommend it ;-)  Getting things working under Squeak would be an hour's work but I lack motivation because there seems to be little community interest in SeasideTesting these days.

For an alternative you might look at:

which uses Selenium RC thereby relying on a larger community for developing the Javascript side of things.  I'm guessing that you'll have fewer difficulties with this then with SeasideTesting but I've never used it myself.