[Seaside] Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 13:31:09 UTC 2012

2012/1/24 Göran Krampe <goran at krampe.se>:
> Hi all!
>

> On 01/23/2012 09:05 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>
>> 2012/1/23 Robert Sirois<watchlala at hotmail.com>:
>>>
>>> What about Amber?
>>

>> Amber doesn't run Seaside.
>

> True, but Amber does have a similar Canvas API and Widget is similar to
> WAComponent in its role etc. So yes, definitely *not* the same thing - but
> if the goal is to attract people to the "Smalltalk arena" of web apps it is
> still a good thing to have.
>
> And with Amber there is no problem letting the users go berzerk - it's all
> on the client side anyway, and one can use local storage etc to make sure
> stuff is not "lost".

Sure, then we're talking about running Amber in the browser with is
totally fine and doesn't have any of the issues as giving a random
user control over a Smalltalk image on the server.

> But again - not Seaside. But similar. ;)
>
> regards, Göran
>
> PS. I love Seaside and Iliad etc, but for me personally it's all about
> client side now. We are using javascript with the help from Nicolas to build
> a full "fat" HTML5 client for a customer. And for a personal project I am
> going "all Amber" for the client. The server then gets transformed into a
> "RPC backend". And for that, one can use a multitude of technology, with
> Socket.io being the "sexiest".

Since you're taking this off topic I hope you don't mind if I ask some
questions. What sever do you use? Which "protocol" do you use
(WebSocket, long poll, …)?

Cheers
Philippe