[Seaside] Live Ruby on rails tutorial sites

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Jan 25 08:33:31 UTC 2012

On 01/24/2012 12:36 PM, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
> makes sense.
>
> Question Goran:
> what would be the preferred persistent method in such apps?
>
> sebastian <http://about.me/sebastianconcept>

Well, let me go "off topic" all the way, IMHO the "dream" stack for me
personally (for a fairly advanced system) looks something like this:

1. Amber (or plain js) on client side + socket.io (optionally + Faye or
Juggernaut). I am getting more proficient in js these days, but Amber is
still much nicer. Building an advanced client in js requires a lot of
... care. :)

2. Server side a mixture of:
	- Amber running on nodejs.
	- Plain js on nodejs.
	- Pharo.
The system I am building has different "tasks" that are sometimes better
done in Pharo and sometimes better done in nodejs (js or Amber) since
there are a LOT of pre made node modules to use.

3. Tying them together using a message queue. For the moment I think the
new ActiveMQ called "Apollo" looks best. It has VERY good performance
and is all focused on the STOMP protocol (for which I have already
written a client library for Squeak). Yes, written in Java, but I just
want to use it :)

4. Persistence... I am in love with Riak and that is where I am placing
my effort right now. Membase would also be fun to play with, as would
Redis, but Redis is not a persistence solution but rather a coordination
mechanism giving atomic behaviors in a NoSQL-transaction-less-world.

regards, Göran