[Seaside] Zinc adaptor zombie

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Mon Jul 2 16:46:34 UTC 2012

On 02 Jul 2012, at 17:29, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at beta9.be> wrote:
>>
>> Esteban,
>>
>> On 01 Jul 2012, at 11:19, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sven,
>>>
>>> no... problem is that
>>>
>>> 1) you create a server with zinc adaptor
>>> 2) you need to change it to use comanche, then you stop one, start the other [1].
>>> 3) when you save image, ZnServer is restarted anyway.
>>
>> OK, I understand now and I could reproduce it.
>>
>> But this is a Seaside issue/feature: WAServerManager will send #startUp to all its adaptors, regardless whether they were stopped manually or not, it wants them all to be running after a restart.
>
> #startUp is not supposed to start the server. #startUp is the message
> sent to notify of image startup. You can implement it to do
> initialization if needed (take a look at WAListenerAdaptor in the
> command adaptor package, for example, which uses it to reinitialize a
> Proces, *but only if the adaptor was running when the image was
> saved*).
>
> Many adaptors do not need to implement #startUp, but if you do, you
> should not start up unless you were running on image save.
>
> Julian

That is clear, thanks for explaining.

Name: Zinc-Seaside-SvenVanCaekenberghe.32
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 2 July 2012, 6:43:41 pm
UUID: b279c0ac-88d6-4ee9-9885-786a90bc2628
Ancestors: Zinc-Seaside-SvenVanCaekenberghe.31

changed ZnZincServerAdaptor>>#startUp not to do a basicStart and the create and start a new server when there is no server (i.e. when the adaptor was previously stopped) [Thx Julian Fitzell for explaining the semantics]

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu