[Seaside] [Seaside REST] handling subpaths

Sebastian Sastre sebastian at flowingconcept.com
Sat Mar 10 13:02:36 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

if you have this:

	RestfulHandler
	 |-UserHandler
	 |-PersonHandler
	 |-CompanyHandler
	 |-AlbumHandler
	 L_RecordHandler

and you want to access this:

api/
api/User
api/Person
apiCompany
api/Album
api/Record

how do you do that?

sebastian

o/

PS: What I've tried so far is to set a class-side #initialize on all of them to register an handler at everyone of those paths.

Example:

UserHandler class>>initialize

	WAAdmin register: self at: self basePath,'/User'

#basePath returns 'api'.

The problem is that RestfulHandler also registers because there are some actions to be done in the path api/{action} and it causes some trouble. Registering this guy adds the handler at the root path and it seems that, in order to be able to register/handle the subpaths, seaside needs in the root path a dispatcher instead, so..?

PSS: It would be wonderful to just register 'api' and let the handler take care of every action with every pragma, the problem for that is that it won't scale well in complexity. The solution to that is to subclass that handler root class and perform the actions where matters, but I didn't figured out how that can be done in Seaside REST or if it's possible (if you have ideas on improving this I'd like to hear).