[Seaside] Zinc as static file server

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Sat May 12 17:17:29 UTC 2012

On 05/12/2012 12:52 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> Thanks for the contribution (again).

You're welcome.  Thanks for doing the bulk of the work.

> Yes, this is useful, having an expiration time per mime-type seems a bit heavy, but OK.

I figured that since the mimeType had already been figured out in the
#responseForFileNamed: method to just use it.  I'm happy for any revisions.

> BTW, we (or I) definitively need to add If-Modified-Since and 304 Not Modified behavior to  ZnZincStaticServerAdaptor.

OK.  I added that to the version I just uploaded.

> And I know that you know, but let me repeat that in production situations you definitively have to let apache or nginx serve the statis files, to take load of Seaside.

Yes definitely.

> Your hack in ZnSeasideStaticServerAdaptorDelegate>>#handleRequest: lets Seaside first try and make an error before you consider static file serving, this almost defeats the purpose of not doing it by Seaside itself. Just a hunch, I haven't tested or benchmarked this.

Does Seaside have the ability to serve files from disk without loading
them into a WAFileLibrary?  I couldn't figure that out, or gave up
before trying really.  I edit all my CSS and JS in emacs and its a pain
to reload after saving/committing.  And for my use case the performance
is fine.

> But I know you want this for easier development setup, and it is instructive code for others as well.

Its certainly a niche market/product.