[Seaside] Zinc as static file server

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Sat May 12 21:59:05 UTC 2012

On 12 May 2012, at 19:17, Paul DeBruicker wrote:

>> BTW, we (or I) definitively need to add If-Modified-Since and 304 Not Modified behavior to ZnZincStaticServerAdaptor.
>>

> OK.  I added that to the version I just uploaded.

I'll have a look later on (I have little time this weekend).

We also need at least one simple test (another one of Marcus' quotes; if there is no actively run test, it does not exist). We just need an extra version of #testIfModifiedSinceNotModified directly on a local server, it will require some setup, be it should be doable.

>> And I know that you know, but let me repeat that in production situations you definitively have to let apache or nginx serve the statis files, to take load of Seaside.
>>

> Yes definitely.
>
>> Your hack in ZnSeasideStaticServerAdaptorDelegate>>#handleRequest: lets Seaside first try and make an error before you consider static file serving, this almost defeats the purpose of not doing it by Seaside itself. Just a hunch, I haven't tested or benchmarked this.
>
> Does Seaside have the ability to serve files from disk without loading them into a WAFileLibrary?  I couldn't figure that out, or gave up before trying really.  I edit all my CSS and JS in emacs and its a pain to reload after saving/committing.  And for my use case the performance is fine.

Yes, your use case is perfectly valid.

Sven