[Seaside] Re: [Metacello] collecting all packages of a configuration

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Thu May 17 21:14:28 UTC 2012

Mariano,

Metacello let's Monticello do the initialization, but decides which sets of packages to load at the same time ... #atomic projects load all of the packages at once, then initialize. While #linear projects load and initialize each package individually ... I believe that Seaside is #linear.

Things can get a bit complicated when #atomic and #linear projects are intermixed (via dependencies)

If you throw a `Transcript show` into the postLoadOver: method (at least that seems like the right one) and run Metacello, you'll have a record of when each package was initialiazed during the load.

You should be able to tell from loadDirective structure what's going to happen...oh wait there are preload and postload doits besides the standard initialization stuff ... but that too is in the loadDirective structure ... typically the ExplicitLoadDirective is used to get a Configuration loaded "right now" during fetch, so focus on the AtomicLoadDirective and LinearLoadDiretives...

If you want to duplicate what Metacello does, you should consider serializing the loadDirectives (in some fashion) so that you can guarantee that you track any behavior changes that I might introduce into Metacello ... I don't have any planned, but you never know when some changes will be called for ...

Dale