[Seaside] Seaside Websocket support

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 14:43:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:18 AM, Tim Ziebart <timothy at churchmilitant.org> wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I am looking to build a chat application for my website using web
> sockets as Zinc now supports web sockets.  I am looking for help in
> getting the  Zinc Web Socket support working in Seaside.
>
> I noticed there is a package called Seaside-WebSocket-Examples.  I
> installed the package and it will require some tweaking to work.  I am
> willing to contribute the work but I will require assistance.  Is this
> the best approach or has anyone gone about it a different way?
> Seeking your ever valuable advice.

There's something called Seaside-WebSocket-Core in [1]. It's an
abstraction over the WebSocket support in Swazoo and WebClient. It
certainly could be extended to support Zinc. Having that said I'm not
really sure how well this fits into Seaside. The request/response
model is quite central to Seaside and not sure wether it makes sense
to run WebSockets inside a request context. OTOH this might be another
nice application for continuations. I guess we'll just have to
experiment a bit.

 [1] http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside30Addons.html

Cheers
Philippe