[Seaside] Seaside 30 + Magma on Squeak?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 15:32:07 UTC 2012

You should be able to load each of Seaside and Magma individually,
which are both still maintained to this day.  The "Helper" package was
created years ago but not maintained.

Magma and Seaside will work together just fine.  Just as with any
database, you have to decide how you want your Seaside sessions to use
the database which is totally dependent on the needs of the
application.  Access to the DB occurs via Magma sessions.  The purest
approach is for each Seaside session to have its own Magma session --
its own isolated view of the persistent model.  While this offers the
least degradation as scale increases, the downside to that approach is
overall efficiency for small applications since there could be
multiple copies of the same parts of the domain (one for each session)
in memory, which were brought in through the DB machinery separately.

There were some creative sharing solutions to deal with this, or some
folks decided to use just one MagmaSession for all web clients.  But
Magma is not fast enough to handle very many users in that
configuration.  Magma was designed for the Magma-SERVER to handle lots
of clients, not for a single Magma-Client to handle lots of
web-clients...