[Seaside] image handling (thumbnails)

Francois Stephany tulipe.moutarde at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 17:20:13 UTC 2012

Smagick works well but beware that it blocks the VM when processing an
image.

For Wapict (images are sometimes ~50mb), I simply have an external queue
with workers using OSProcess to convert images. Not terribly efficient
but works well enough.

To generate thumbnails of, say, profile pictures on a website, I don't
really know what I would use. Have you found any pure-smalltalk image
manipulation library?

On 25/09/12 08:42, Tiarnán Ó Corráin wrote:
> Hi--
>
> what's the recommended / popular way of doing basic image handling in
> Seaside?  My requirements are to take uploaded images and make
> thumbnails in a few different sizes.  I see some references so SMagick
> and to Smalltalk-local image handling around, but I'm wondering what
> general practice is among posters on this list.
>
> thanks
>
> Tiarnán
>
> --
> The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor
> to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread --
> Anatole France

http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225
BE: +32 65 709 131