[Seaside] image handling (thumbnails)

Francois Stephany tulipe.moutarde at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 20:53:41 UTC 2012

My OSProcess call is pretty stupid actually. It's something along the line:

env := OSProcess thisOSProcess environment copy.
path := (env at: #PATH), ':/usr/local/bin/:/usr/bin/'.
env at: #PATH put: path.

pipe := (PipeableOSProcess command: command environment: env).
pipe output.
pipe closePipes.

where the command is the imagemagick command as you would use it from
the command line.

I think SMagick does the same kind of thing but have a nice Smalltalk
wrapper around.

On 25/09/12 11:39, Tiarnán Ó Corráin wrote:
> Hi--
>
> that sounds very interesting.  Could you post some example code, or even
> a skeleton?
>
> thanks
>
> Tiarnán
>
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Francois Stephany
> <tulipe.moutarde at gmail.com <mailto:tulipe.moutarde at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Smagick works well but beware that it blocks the VM when processing
>     an image.
>
>     For Wapict (images are sometimes ~50mb), I simply have an external
>     queue with workers using OSProcess to convert images. Not terribly
>     efficient but works well enough.
>
>     To generate thumbnails of, say, profile pictures on a website, I
>     don't really know what I would use. Have you found any
>     pure-smalltalk image manipulation library?
>

>     On 25/09/12 08:42, Tiarnán Ó Corráin wrote:
>
>         Hi--
>
>         what's the recommended / popular way of doing basic image
>         handling in
>         Seaside?  My requirements are to take uploaded images and make
>         thumbnails in a few different sizes.  I see some references so
>         SMagick
>         and to Smalltalk-local image handling around, but I'm wondering what
>         general practice is among posters on this list.
>
>         thanks
>
>         Tiarnán
>
>         --
>         The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as
>         the poor
>         to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread --
>         Anatole France

>     --
>     http://tulipemoutarde.be
>     CA: +1 778 558 3225 <tel:%2B1%20778%20558%203225>
>     BE: +32 65 709 131 <tel:%2B32%2065%20709%20131>
>

> --
> The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor
> to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread --
> Anatole France

http://tulipemoutarde.be
CA: +1 778 558 3225
BE: +32 65 709 131