[Seaside] is this workflow incorrect?

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Thu Sep 27 17:08:34 UTC 2012

Sergio,

You might want to checkout some of my recent work with Metacello, Git and GitHub....

The short answer is that it is possible to use git for your development ... storing monticello packages and static files (js, etc.) in git is definitiely doable.

The long answer is that I've been working in Git/GitHub since late January. The FileTree[1] project makes it practical to store Monticello packages on disk and therefore makes it possible to stash your smalltalk code on Git and use Github. I have recently announced[2] a Metacello Preview release (1.0.0-beta.32.3) that adds git/github support to Metacello[3],[4].

If you take a look at the amber-skeleton[5] and take a look at the set up instructions[6] for the pharo server, you'll see that I've used git to build the directory structure around the server (in this case Pharo) in addition to all of the source code, scripts and documentation ...

Regarding the duplicate pharo/gemstone testing, I'll just say that a little bit of paranoia goes a long way:) The Pharo and GemStone environments aren't exact copies of one another, so it is just prudent to make sure that things work as well in GemStone as they do in Pharo ... I don't think you'd want to skip the steps, but automating the steps would be a big advantage ... along those lines, TravisCI provides continuation integration support tied to GitHub push/pull requests ... automated builds and tests, that I am using for all of my pharo work ... right now Travis only supplies 32 bit environments, but as soon as a 64 bit environment shows up I will be using Travis for GemStone as well ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree
[2] http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/metacello-1-0-beta-31-1-5-brewed/
[3] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/docs/MetacelloUserGuide.md