[Seaside] Re: change n same words in browser with one action

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 19:40:19 UTC 2012

> yes, exactly like this: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/900
>
> Bert Freudenberg added the following:
>
> Tip: You do not have to perform a "find" for the "replace" to work.
> Just select a word you want to have replaced, overtype it with your
> new word, and hit (ctrl-j). Very handy for renaming variables.
>
> This would be perfect.

You should not expect that -- Pharo used to have it but it was removed
in favor of a more mainstream editor look-and-feel -- so that it be
would more attractive to new users.  Command+J / Control+J are just
two of several powerful code-editing capabilities Pharo originally
inherited from Squeak, along with my other favorites Command+E =
Exchange the last two selections and Command+[, (, {, or | = Surround
the highlighted text with that bracket-type pair.  (not sure if those
are still there in Pharo).

Pharo favors _familiarity_ for new users somewhat at the cost of
productivity for its experienced users.  It somewhat resembles eclipse
-- with pop-up dialogs and a seemingly "modal" philosophy.  Squeak, by
constrast, has kept pushing the "simple-but-powerful" philosphy of its
IDE to near extremes.  While it's less familiar for new uesrs, once
learned, general navigation and editing require _far fewer_ gestures.