[Seaside] Loading Seaside 3.03 into Squeak 4.4

jtuchel at objektfabrik.de jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Thu Aug 22 18:19:49 UTC 2013

Hi Tobias,

first of all, thanks for your time and help!

Am 22.08.13 16:01, schrieb Tobias Pape:
> Am 22.08.2013 um 15:46 schrieb "jtuchel at objektfabrik.de" <jtuchel at objektfabrik.de>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just tried to install Seaside 3.0.3 into a freshly downloaded Squeak 4.4 all-in-one image using the SqueakMap Package Loader.
>>
>> The result is an exception during download/installation:
>>
>> Could not access http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Grease
>>
>> I think the url should be changed to http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/grease (note the difference between Grease and grease), at least that url can be accessed from a web browser while Grease can't.
>> What has to be changed where? Who can submit it where it belongs to?
>
> In Fact, it should be http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/grease, not http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/grease.
thanks. I hope I can change that somewhere.

BTW: is the 4.4 distribution at squeak.org current? Is there a newer
distro? I can hardly believe I am the first to encounter this problem.

OTOH, Why do you want to install an outdated version of Seaside?

Well, beacuse it is the newest that is present in the SqueakMap Catalog
in the latest Squeak 4.4 image as I have downloaded it today from
Squeak.org.
If there is a newer one that I can load into Squeak without first
studying ConfigurationOf..., Gofer, Meta- and MOnticello first, I prefer
to load a newer one. Especially if it can be loaded easier.

> The current is 3.0.8, an All-in-one image is also available
> from the ftp.
which ftp? Seaside? Squeak? Can you provide a link?

Please allow me a little comment on this topic.
I've been trying to dive into Squeak or Pharo several times over the
last few years. Literally every single time I started over, I had
problems like this.
All I wanted was a Squeak or Pharo Image with both Seaside and Magma
loaded. My first attempt was with Squeak 3.9, and it was the last time I
could load both into one image without any problems. Most of the times
when I asked for help with this, I was offered some premade-Image with
one or both of them in it. But that is not good enough. I need
reproducible artefacts if I want to use code for a system that I want to
work - commercially or not.

Joachim