[Seaside] WAUrl class>>#decodePercent:

jtuchel at objektfabrik.de jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Fri Aug 30 09:14:51 UTC 2013

I think I am getting closer to answering my own question, which started
as a bug report ;-)

I think I've just learned something new about encodeURI() and
encodeURIComponent(). It seems like I should not use encodeURI(), but
encodeURIComponent() instead, because that even encodes a few more
characters, like question marks, for example.

So if somebody enters one of the characters $: $, $/ $; $? and you
expect them to appear correctly in an Ajax callback, you should use the
javascript function encodeURIComponent() on the client side before
adding the string as an Ajax parameter.

Since the results of encodeURI and encodeURIComponent look different, I
come to the conclusion that the Ajax handling code in Seaside better
leaves its hands off the URL parameters, because it cannot really know
which of these functions had been used. And, of course, the client might
not have encoded at all. So unless anybody (who knows Seaside much
better than me) tells me differently, I tend to think my only remaining
question is:

How do I decodeURI and/or decodeURIComponent on the server side in
Seaside / Smalltalk? Does Seaside ship with such methods?

Here's what I've found so far:

IN Pharo 2.0, it seems like the only place where such encoding/decoding
happens is in ZnPercentEncoder (see String urlDecoded). #urlDecoded has
no senders other than Zinc tests. Which seems to answer my question
about Seaside not doing anything in that respect.

Hmm. What do I make of all this now for my use case?

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg 		     http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1