[Seaside] WAUrl class>>#decodePercent:

jtuchel at objektfabrik.de jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Fri Aug 30 19:27:47 UTC 2013

Okay, this message costs me some courage now ;-)

Philippe, of course Seaside is decoding. Otherwise I would never have
gotten an Exception from decodePercent: in the first place. So I am
expecting the right thing from Seaside and am getting it.

The real problem in my case is that I am using ISO-8859-15 in my
application. So the result of getting the text field's contents using
val() is an ISO-8859-15 encoded String.

encodeURI and encodeURIComponent not only escape characters, but also
convert special characters into UTF-8. In my case this were German
umlauts. So I fell hostage to a side effect of encodeURI and the fact
that VA ST doesn't yet support Unicode and somehow didn't understand this.

So what I did was not wrong per se, I just ignored the whole UTF-8
thing. I should have started my search in that area, because it is not
the first time AJax and its UTF-8 nature bit me.
For Pharo/Squeak/Gemstone users, this UTF-8 stuff is a non-issue, and
therefor readers of my posts had absolutely no chance to see the forest
between all the trees.

All I had to do to make things work was to use .escape() instead of
.encodeURI().
.escape() does escape special characters in ISO-Latin character sets and
encodes them with %XX. It is the poor man's encodeURI function so to say ;-)

Readers: please be aware that .escape() is not the right solution for
Ajax calls if your server speaks UTF-8. Always try encodeURI first!

Thanks for reading and answering. I would not have dug as deep as I did
without your inspiration and sparks. They all made me see clear after a
while and helped me solve my problem.

Have a nice weekend

Joachim

Am 30.08.13 12:48, schrieb Philippe Marschall:
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Philippe Marschall
> <philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM, jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
>> <jtuchel at objektfabrik.de> wrote:
>>> Hi Philippe,

>>> Agreed. It is invalid. I know. And therefor, decodePercent: cannot handle
>>> it. So you can either forget my initial bug report or simply throw a better