[Seaside] my site is completely dead..

Henrik Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Tue Jan 29 14:26:10 UTC 2013

On Jan 29, 2013, at 11:01 AM, seaside-request at lists.squeakfoundation.org wrote:

> From: Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Seaside] my site is completely dead..
> Date: January 29, 2013 11:01:04 AM GMT+01:00
> To: Seaside - general discussion <seaside at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>

> it depends on many things... as Sebastian said, nothing in the earth runs forever, but you can achieve some stability anyway :)
>
> first I would check your Pharo version and VM version, to ensure you are using a stable one.
> second, RFB server (vnc server) is known for hang your image time to time (some sockets stays alive when they shouldn't and that is consuming your resources until nothing works :( ). Someone should fix that, but is obviously not so easy, otherwise it would be fixed by now.
>
> what else? ensure your image is being persisted and backed up regularly, and add a monitoring process...
>
> Esteban

The issue in RFB was identified and a fix posted, don't think any RFB package maintainers picked it up though.
http://forum.world.st/leaking-semaphores-tp4432983p4433697.html

As for Pharo, the relevant issue to giving better error messages instead of freezing is
but I never got around to actually implementing it :S

Also, a new(ish) VM will happily continue leaking semaphores instead of freezing till it runs out of space just the way non-cog used to, if I've understood Igor's latest changes correctly :)

Cheers,
Henry