[Seaside] Re: VM freezes; how to find the cause?

Bahman Movaqar Bahman at BahmanM.com
Tue May 28 03:32:46 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-27 22:29, intrader wrote:
> As you now know, it is very simple to inadvertently cause your code to
> freeze. I have managed to get my code to freeze in various ways including
> recursion caused by initialize.AND, test before you deploy in a production
> environment.
>
> The VM is correctly doing what you tell it to do.

That's right.

My only question is that, should a single bad process freeze the whole
image?

A process can go CPU-wild not only during initialisation but also by I/O
block/deadlock, e.g. when accessing the database.  I know, it is not
usual or something that happens on a daily basis.

I've had this on JVM: running multiple applications on a web server.
Out there if the freeze happened at web server level, well, all
applications were down and out of reach.  However if the freeze happened
in application (my code) level, the CPU usage would increase -sometimes
to 100%- but the other web applications would remain accessible though slow.

I'm wondering about a way to achieve the same behaviour on Smalltalk.

--
Bahman Movaqar  (http://BahmanM.com)
ERP Evaluation, Implementation, Deployment Consultant