[Seaside] Re: go into production to do list

jtuchel at objektfabrik.de jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Mon Sep 2 19:04:20 UTC 2013

Am 02.09.13 14:44, schrieb Sabine Knöfel:

> At
> http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/deployment-preparing some
> points are outdated, e.g .the links to the core or kernel images.
> Which image do you use as base image for deployment?
Hmm. Are you updating your base components (I mean Seaside, dev tools of
all kinds, DB access layer, Zinc) frequently?
I guess you're not if you want to make progress in your own code base
instead of hunt for bugs every time you set up a new image.

I use VAST and there you always have your local Repository (or maybe on
the lan), so loading a few frameworks can take up to a few minutes, but
never such a long time as you mention.

I guess what I'd do is to make a base image with all components I need
from the web and store it as my starting point. My own code would not be
in there, because that is what changes most. This image file would
either be kept in a read-only directory or under source control. This is
to avoid things like saving a modified version of it by accident.

Whenever I need a new image, I'd use that "base image" and load my own
stuff from my local Monticello into it.
I even do that in VAST to save those 8 minutes every morning.
I think that is the best thing to do in order to keep a stable base.
Of course you should go through the trouble of spending these 2 hours
from time to time to make sure you can still start from scratch if
something's wrong.

Still I am glad I have envy, because it can tell me instantaneously if
an image contains changes from a base version. VAST and envy are a great
team for config management and for detection of changes. (Although its
diff tools for resolving conflicts and such are ... well, dated).

Another possibility would be to clone all the code you need locally and
write your own ConfigurationOf.. and stuff. I know much too little about
these to make an informed comment, but my stomach says that is not a
good idea and your time can be spent for more important stuff.

Just my opinion

Joachim