[Seaside] Re: go into production to do list

jtuchel at objektfabrik.de jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Mon Sep 2 19:29:13 UTC 2013

> I use VAST and there you always have your local Repository (or maybe
> on the lan), so loading a few frameworks can take up to a few minutes,
> but never such a long time as you mention.
>
> I guess what I'd do is to make a base image with all components I need
> from the web and store it as my starting point.

Sorry, I didn't really answer your question, because you wanted to know
which image to start with.

So here's my (old-fashioned) take:
I would always use the official image from Pharo-project.org. This is
because it is the most likely image to be available whenever you need to
build a fresh one. If you use somebody's preconfigured image, you never
know what they actually did to make it. If they can offer a procedure
that reliably recreates their image, then this is fine.

That is why I always roll my eyes if somebody offers me a ready-made
image with whatever in it. I don't want to be relying on something that
I cannot recreate in a catastrophic case. If I keep a copy of the image
in the Pharo distribution and keep records of what I have to do to load
my stuff and get it running, that is the most reliable strategy, IMO.
Or, even better, if I have a piece of code that does all the nasty work
for me.

Just my 2 cents

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg 		     http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1