[Seaside] Migrations - Object Database

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 21:13:12 UTC 2014

I use Magma, but yes, Data-quality management applies to any persistent
model, and is a little more involved than at first it seems, because it's
tempting to just spank-out a workspace script which enumerates appropriate
objects in your DB and fixes/upgrades them.

But doing only that is loaded with caveats.  After running a repair script,
can one _really_ feel comfortable the model is "all fixed" and ready for
production?  Did the script really work?  Did it catch all cases or was
there possibly a bug in it?

To address these concerns, Magma employs a first-class DataRepair which is
used to perform data repairs/migrations on Magma models in a controlled and
reliable fashion.  It is based on the repair process we used at Florida
Power and Light for patching/upgrading the models in its GemStone databases.

The requirements of a data-repair are:

- Enumerate all objects needing repair.
- Of the enumerated objects, #check, #count or #identify the ones that are
in need of repair.
- Of the enumerated objects, #improve or #repair the ones that are in need
of repair.
- Before committing #repair, _verify_ whether the repaired objects are, in
fact, repaired by using the same check as for #check, #count and #identify.
 If they are, commit, if not, abort.
- Connect a brand-new session, run a final #check and report whether the
repair was successful or failed.
- (Optional) If successful, you might wish to persist the DataRepair object
itself somewhere in your database, so it has a history of what was done to
it.
- Output report of for each of the above actions.

Here is an example of Magma's DataRepair constructor:

(MagmaDataRepair
at: (MagmaRemoteLocation host: 'prod1' port: 51199)
enumerate: [ : session : repair | session root accountsDo: [ : eachAccount
| repair check: eachAccount ] ]
check: [ : eachAccount : repair | eachAccount importFilters anySatisfy: [ :
each | each class = MaxImportFilter ] ])
repair: [ : eachAccount : repair | eachAccount importFilters withIndexDo: [
: eachFilter : index | eachAccount importFilters at: index put: eachFilter
asKeywordFilter ] ]

To this object, I can send any of the 5 actions:  #check, #count,
#identify, #improve or #repair.  The first three are read-only operations.
 The 4th will commit the repairs as-it-goes, the last one only commits
after a successful pre-verification.

Although you the user must specify the enumerate:, check: and repair:
blocks, the DataRepair object encapsulates the _process_ of repairing
models in a controlled and reliable fashion, by using those user-specified,
model-specific blocks.

 - Chris