[Seaside] Migrations - Object Database

Diego Lont diego.lont at delware.nl
Mon Apr 28 06:35:15 UTC 2014

Hi Aaron,

To avoid migration trouble I usually use lazy initialisers, accessing them as properties. With other words: I keep my initialize method as empty as possible. And when I have a “migrated” value, then I try to come up with a new name and put the migration code in the initialiser. When this initialisation becomes complex I have the following pattern:

	^x ifNil: [ x := self buildX ]

buildX
	| newX |
	“ do the complex initialisation “
	^newX

I do not know if this can be easily applied to databases as well (I myself use pharo / gemstone), and I still have moments where something goes wrong because the data is not migrated properly, because I forgot something, but it saves a most of trouble.

Diego