[Seaside] Migrations - Object Database

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Mon Apr 28 18:14:33 UTC 2014

Aaron,

As you say, this isn’t really a GOODS-specific question but a more generic one.

The Programming Guide for GemStone/S 64 Bit has a an entire chapter devoted to the topic (see http://gemtalksystems.com/index.php/community/gss-support/documentation/gs64/).

There are a variety of approaches to changing the schema of an object. First, since Smalltalk has dynamic typing, you don’t have to have a Profession instance in the profession instance variable of Person. You can store either a Profession instance or a Collection of Profession instances. You can then have accessors that return either one or a collection. Alternatively, in GemStone you can add a method to the old class version to return a collection, and create a new version of the class that stores a collection. Then, at your convenience you can migrate all the instances of the old version to instances of the new version.

James