[Seaside] Re: Building realtime applications with Seaside

Esteban A. Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 13:32:30 UTC 2014

Hi Andy,

I used Zinc's websockets to push data to a javascript "client", that
updated info on a map every time an event was received from a mobile
device.

However, after analyzing the real usage of such feature (low), it's
maintenance became complex (the mix of js, seaside and ws), so I
switched from a push (websocket) to a pull (ajax) refresh, that let me
implement everything in "standard" Seaside flow (except for a minimum
JS part), but also helped me to have less state in the js client.

There is no official web of doing real-time with Seaside as far as I
know. And with web apps becoming more JS and RESTful based, sometimes
it's not easy to integrate Seaside in such workflow. Not even thinking
about integrating something like http://socket.io

However if you need help, I'll be happy to help you as much as I can.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo