[Seaside] Setup Pier environment

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Thu Oct 23 18:27:54 UTC 2014

Dario,

The #currentVersion algorithm does a match between the packages loaded and
the specifications and the match is based on "latest version matching" and
this is an inexact science (as you've seen) ... Most likely in the case you
are wondering about, the gemstone packges are identical between version
3.0.4 and 3.1.1 so the #currentVersion algorithm matches 3.1.1.

You've probably seen that these days I recommend using the scripting api
where you would do
the load this way:

  Metacello new
    configuration: 'Pier3AddOns';
    version: '3.0.4';
    load.

then print the following to check which version has been loaded:

  Metacello image
    configuration: 'Pier3AddOns;
    list.

With the scripting API, #currentVersion is loaded. Instead Metacello
records the version (project spec) of the project that was actually loaded
and is much more accurate ...

You do have to use the the `Metacello new` style load expressions to cause
projects to be registered ...

Dale