[Seaside] Seaside and Ajax

Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Wed Apr 22 18:37:19 UTC 2015

Hi Hilaire,

If you want to do ajax requests in Seaside, jQuery is the way to go.
Scriptaculous itself is outdated (last update was 5 years ago) and everything you want to do with that can be done using jQuery and jQuery-UI.
Bootstrap is a different thing: there are javascript components and styling elements (maybe a bit similar to jQuery-UI and some parts of scriptaculous).

Take a look at the jQuery examples provided with Seaside (http://localhost:8080/javascript/jquery <http://localhost:8080/javascript/jquery>) or the subclasses of JQFunctionalTest.

I *know* there is a need for more elaborate documentation (in the book), though it’s really not that hard to understand from the examples. The *biggest* thing is that you must understand what jQuery is and does. If you try understanding how to work with jQuery by only looking at the Seaside binding, you _will_ get lost. Sorry if I try to stress too much, but I think this is where most Smalltalkers are going wrong: they don’t take a look at the jQuery documentation. So… my advice is: read jQuery documentation and examples, then take a look at how Seaside binds to that library. I’m sure you will understand.

And I’m happy to answer questions if you have any on the road :)

Johan