[Seaside] Re: Using Polymer Webcomponents in seaside

Andy Burnett andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com
Tue Dec 1 17:00:23 UTC 2015

>>> Johan Brichau said

Hey guys,

Web components are a perfect fit for Seaside. It does not even have to be changed to start using them. At it’s core, Seaside is an extensible framework and adding new (html) tags is a core extensible feature. Take a look at the Bootstrap extension, for example. For the implementation of the web component itself, I don’t see why you would want/need to use Seaside. It’s all javascript that needs to execute in the browser and therefore best implemented using tools for that. This means you can easily still generate the entire page using Seaside (if you want server-side rendering) and include the web components implementation.We did exactly this in a couple of cases to reduce the size of the generated page: we included custom html elements in the Seaside-rendered page and included the js implementation of the corresponding web components.

SNIP
<<<

That's great to know. I had hoped it would be easy to do.

Could you give an example of how you might get the selected value from eg a polymer date picker? I want to get a sense of the basic plumbing - btw my seaside experience is very limited.

Cheers
Andy