[Seaside] Re: TableReport slow down

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Thu Dec 31 14:42:18 UTC 2015

> On 31 Dec 2015, at 15:02, Hilaire <hilaire at drgeo.eu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Some investigation shows an issue while appending an € symbol in the text representation of my money object (the one used by seaside for rendering)
>
> CGMoney>>printOn: aStream
>     aStream << (amount asScaledDecimal: 2) greaseString << ' ' << '€'
>
> Replacing '€' by 'EUR' gives back normal rendering time.
>
> Indeed the '€' is encoded as WideString, so not sure what is happening. All content converted to WideString or what?

Yes, the string starts as a plain ByteString and once you add the € it gets automagically converted to a WideString, but you pay a huge price in performance: it involves the usage of global #become: each time, which is dead slow (Spur will help IIUC).

A possible solution is to somehow start with a WideString from the beginning (or force it before doing all elements one by one).