[Seaside] Re: Concurrent Programming

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 02:59:33 UTC 2015

Hmmmm.

In your plain English example is what you want happening in the client
browser or in your smalltalk image, ideally?

If you want the friends data in your image then you should consider using
Ramon Leon's ThreadPool:
http://onsmalltalk.com/2010-07-28-a-simple-thread-pool-for-smalltalk . I've
kept it working here: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~pdebruic/ThreadPool  You
could use it to get the friends data from Facebook into the image.  Then
poll for results from the client to update any divs/views.  You can queue
the thread pool requests in your login callback before you even begin
rendering things.

If you just want to load the friends into a div only in the client its
probably easier to write a JS function in an external file and call it from
Seaside using the info specific to the user. e.g.

html div
    id:'friendList'
    script: ((html jQuery id: 'friendList') call: 'loadFriendList' with:
self userFacebookID).

Look at the JSScript class for the definition of  #<< .  It just
concatenates the scripts.  The #script: method passes a stream into the
block, and the << writes whatever you've written onto that stream.  Check
the senders and implementors to get your bearings.

When you have time please send things like:

"I think this code "____code example_____" should do  "____expected
behavior____" but instead it does "____jumbly voodoo_____" instead. What
don't I understand?

Hope this helps.