[Seaside] Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo{2,3} problems with seaside3.1

Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Thu Jan 8 12:31:03 UTC 2015

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out. You are right that encountering these issues is not a good user experience and we will try to improve on that.
Let me quickly respond to your remarks already.

The fact that the one-click download is still Pharo2 is something that went by unnoticed. I got reminded about that just last week and will try to update the download asap.
However, installing Seaside in your own Pharo image is a much more preferred solution because maintaining the one-click download with latest bugfixes takes time as well, which is precious amongst Seaside maintainers.

The Seaside control panel is broken in Pharo 2 and, unless someone provides fixes for it, will not be fixed. The reason is that it does not make much sense trying to maintain that for older Pharo versions. The differences between Pharo2 and 3 are large in the area and newcomers should use Pharo 3.

The source code that cannot be saved is a know issue in Pharo 3 [1].
But please mind that this is not the way to edit your code. The WABrowser is just an example.

The idea is that I update the website but the I did not manage it before the end of 2014. I hope to get at it soon though…

Cheers,
Johan

[1] https://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=811 <https://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=811>