[Seaside] Re: Seaside 3.1 and Pharo issues

David Carlos Manuelda stormbyte at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 12:55:41 UTC 2015

Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> David wrote:
>>Also, debugger do not trigger, neither in pharo2 nor pharo3, for example
>>putting this on rootcomponent>>#renderContentOn: html
>>html text 'test'.
>>1/0.
>
> I cannot reproduce that. Are you sure your application exception handler
> (in the filters) is set to do debugging? That is, WADebugErrorHandler
> instead of WAErrorHandler

Ok, done that by deeply looking at the config. I was using defaults, which I
thought that since it was already set on developer mode by default it should
be set that also.
Now it works, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
>>** Halos, and code editing:
>>   - Pharo2: OK, working normally
>>   - Pharo3: DANGEROUS, partially not working, and when it works it makes
>>you lose code, I explain:
>
> That is an issue indeed. It is a feature that you try to use as a new
> seaside user, and then never again. The quality of tools in image is so
> much better than that online, that I don't know any experienced seasider
> using it, on any platform. That has allowed this issue to go undiscovered
> so long.

For editing code, yes, it is way better to not use halos, but modifying
renderContentOn on the fly via halos, for example, saves little time :)

> It has been reported on december 11.
> https://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=837
> http://forum.world.st/Pharo-3-Seaside-3-1-development-time-error-td4795419.html
> December is a bad month to get non-critical issues fixed. I've spend my
> time getting moose ready for the 5 release.
>
> The seaside control panel is never going to work in Pharo2.
> Both the old one and the new one don't work there.
> If you need to run Seaside in Pharo2, all functionality of the panel is
> scripted easily, so there are sufficient workarounds.
>

> Stephan
About that, have been already issued, just wanted to point a messy user
experience, specially if you are new to this like me. Using pharo3 is not a
problem.