[Seaside] Re: Seaside and gettext not exporting domain strings

Stephan Eggermont stephan at stack.nl
Sun Jan 25 14:13:59 UTC 2015

David wrote:
>Well, in my opinion, gettext has some advantages over simple csv dictionary
>translations, there are tools to translate also, like Poedit, while the
>issue is not about if there are or not better tools.

I was less than impressed by POEdit. For the use case we had
(not so large application, only a few languages), Excel was
definitely superior. For large translations, I'd want application
integration, as the texts also have to fit on the screen.
With the right abstractions, I should be able to generate
translation components in the web application. Both in the
sense as showing a translated part of a page, as in showing
where a text is used. That is something that seems
difficult to do with gettext. To me, the only advantage
POEdit Pro seems to have is the reuse of existing translations.

Stephan