[Seaside] Problems setting up a GLASS/Jade

Ezequiel Tolnay etolnay at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 00:31:33 UTC 2015

Hi all,

This is the first time I'm asking something to the community after 20 years
in IT! And I really hate coming with the stupid newbie question...

I'm banging my head on the wall trying to get a basic GLASS/Jade set-up up
and running. All the tutorials are outdated and whilst some tools seem to
continue to work (I couldn't manage to install a GLASS extent on my linux
server, but I could on my mac), the instructions to get all the required
libraries/supporting classes fails at some point. Other people has had the
same problem and asked for a solution but in the last year or so there have
been no satisfactory answers.

The cleanest and simplest guidelines I've found so far, which fail, are the
following:

   1. Set-up Gemstone/S 64 on mac (done, although this is a temporary
   measure, I'll need to install on linux in production)
      - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oz4RLcEWXs
      2. Set-up a GLASS extent and upgrade Metacello, Margerite, and
   Seaside to use with Jade (fails):
      - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRB5rBbkiI
      - https://programminggems.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/jade/
      -
         - > run
         - ConfigurationOfMagritte3 project stableVersion load.
         - %
         - --transcript--'Loading 3.0.1 of ConfigurationOfMagritte3...'
         - ERROR 2010 , a MessageNotUnderstood occurred (error 2010), a
         MetacelloVersionConstructor does not understand  #'baseline:with:'
         (MessageNotUnderstood)

The problem seems silly, just one missing message on
MetacelloVersionConstructor.

I've gone through with the Boquitas tutorial in Pharo and I'm very keen on
beginning to develop a solution in seaside that can actually be used in
production. Is GLASS dead? How is seaside normally used in a demanding
production environment? GNU smalltalk and a database?

Thank you and apologies for the newbie annoyance!

Cheers,

Ziggy