[Seaside] Ajax File Upload

Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Wed Jun 17 11:59:00 UTC 2015

Hi Jeff,

Uploading files with ajax using Seaside requires the same solution as in any other framework. For example: http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/uploading-files-ajax <http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/uploading-files-ajax> or https://coderwall.com/p/p-n7eq/file-uploads-with-jquery-html5-and-formdata <https://coderwall.com/p/p-n7eq/file-uploads-with-jquery-html5-and-formdata>

The solution you choose also depends on what browsers you want to support.
We are using this jquery plugin: https://blueimp.github.io/jQuery-File-Upload/ <https://blueimp.github.io/jQuery-File-Upload/>

I’m currently integrating the formdata solution into Seaside 3.2. it’s not ready for prime-time yet but here is how you can do the same in Seaside 3.0 and 3.1.

html fileUpload
	id: id.
html submitButton
	onClick: (self scriptToPerformAjaxFileUploadOf: id on: html);
	with: 'Upload!' ]

scriptToPerformAjaxFileUploadOf: fileUploadId on: html

	"Create a FormData object containing the file"
	^(JSStream on: '
		var formdata = new FormData();
		formdata.append("file-0", $("#', fileUploadId,'")[0].files[0])'),

	"Send this FormData object to the back-end to be processed"
	(html jQuery ajax
			optionAt: 'data' put: (html javascript alias: 'formdata');
			url: ((html jQuery ajax callback:[ fileInput := self requestContext request postFields at:'file-0' ]) fullUrl);
			optionAt: 'type' put:'POST';
			optionAt: 'cache' put: false;
			optionAt: 'contentType' put:false;
			optionAt: 'processData' put:false;
			onSuccess: (html jQuery ajax script:[:s | s alert: 'File with name ',fileInput fileName, 'successfully uploaded!' ])
			yourself)

Let me know if this puts you on your way or if you need a bit more info.
As I said, this is going to be integrated in Seaside 3.2 _and_ you need a browser with FormData support (see http://caniuse.com/#search=formdata <http://caniuse.com/#search=formdata>)

cheers
Johan