[Seaside] "expired session" vs "expired document halder"

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 16:02:12 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 6:16 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
<marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am developing my own seaside session tracking subclass
> WAHandlerTrackingStrategy (which uses cookies but in a different way)  but I
> am finding problems to understand a couple of comments and code I found
> around. For example:
>
> "Don't delete the session cookie if we have an expired document halder.
> Only delete the session cookie if we actually have an expired session."
>
> And:
>
> As ususal care has to be taken that this is done only for expired sessions
> and not for expired document handlers
>
> And:
>
>  Some tracking methods may not be appropriate for some kinds of handlers
> (eg. a WADocumentHandler should never be tracked using a cookie). Some
> requests may have multiple keys (eg. a query field for a WADocumentHandler
> and a cookie for a WASession).
>

> So.. I am not sure what does mean. I am interested in tracking SESSIONS, not
> document handlers. And I must clean stuff at session expiration only. I
> don't know what the document handler expiration is about nor how to
> distinguish it from session expiration. So then I cannot know when to clean
> and when to not clean.
>

> Any clarification?

Document handlers are dynamically created document handlers are
dynamically created request handlers whenever you send one of the
#document: messages to an anchor or image. Since Seaside 3.1 this is
very much simplified because document handlers are no longer tracked
within WAApplication alongside session but are now tracked by the
session itself. Therefore in Seaside 3.1 a tracking strategy on
WAApplication only deals with session.

Cheers
Philippe