[Seaside] Re: WAComponent to PDF

Stephan Eggermont stephan at stack.nl
Fri Oct 23 14:52:29 UTC 2015

On 22/10/15 15:56, Hilaire wrote:
> I would like to render WAComponents as PDF documents.
> I took at look at Artefact, but it is an important work to render again
> the data as PDF with Artefact, not to mention I feel it is a duplicated
> work. Moreover, I have quite long documents spanning over several pages,
> some of my tables are complex with some columns spanning over 2 or 3
> columns and I have about 50 different documents to turn as PDF file.

What are you trying to achieve and how complex are the pages? The output
quality of html to pdf solutions has always been a bit disappointing to
me, but I'm used to Framemaker/LaTeX. Line breaking, kerning, micro
typography are all worse. But that might not be relevant for your
documents. You could add a canvas subclass that generates what you need
(LaTeX, rtf, etc) instead, or make an iText based webservice. iText
offers better paragraph support than Artefact currently. Extending
Artefact would of course be very welcome, but I understand the
reluctance to spend that much time.

Stephan